|Job Title||Alarm Technician*|
|Location||Elmhurst, IL*||*Position is based out of Elmhurst, IL|
The Alarm Technician reports to the Technical Services Manager
Position Summary: Responsible for installing, programming, maintaining and repairing of fire/police alarm wiring and equipment. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. Limited amount of estimating.
- Obtains pricing for materials
- Examines systems to locate problems such as loose connections or broken insulation.
- Drills holes for wiring in wall studs, joists, ceilings, and floors; feeds cables through access holes, roof spaces, and cavity walls to reach fixture outlets; then positions and terminate cables, wires and strapping.
- Inspects installation sites and installation manuals in order to determine materials, requirements and installation procedures.
- Installs, maintains, or repairs alarm systems, alarm devises and related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans.
- Mounts and fasten wireless transceivers to a Fire Alarm Control Panel (FACP) and attaches electrical and transmission wiring in order to connect components. Mounts conduits, fastens wires to framing. Test wireless transceiver and confirms that it is working.
- Tests and repairs circuits and sensors, following wiring and system specifications.
- Tests and replaces backup batteries other features in order to ensure proper functioning to diagnose malfunctions.
- Demonstrates system for customers, and explains details such as the causes and consequences of false alarms.
- Understands and applies the NFPA standards.
- Climbs ladders to work on alarm installations, and make assorted troubleshooting repairs.
- Troubleshoot 9-1-1 equipment including the replacement of monitors, electrical wiring, and computer maintenance and repair, including uninterrupted power supplies understanding the differences between AC and DC power.
- Must be able to work on call rotation in a 24x7 environment.
- Attends department meetings as required.
- Photocopies/scans/emails documents and plans.
- Customer Service - responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customerfeedback to improve service and maintains confidentiality.
- Oral Communication - speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication - edits work for spelling and grammar and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/Organization – prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability – consistently attends work when scheduled and on time, followsinstructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety – observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly. The employee is working in an environment where electrical systems and wiring are located.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma with 3 years experience in electronic field. Knowledge of electrical theory, circuitry and wiring. Experience in Fire Alarm and call centers required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Write simple correspondence.
- Effectively present information in a one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret graphs, schematics and blue prints.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- The individual should have knowledge of computer usage.
Position requires the use of a Company vehicle, individual must have clean driving record for one year for insurance purposes. And have or obtain PERC Certification.
NORCOMM Public Safety Communications - Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc. is committed to attracting and retaining the best talent. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. M/F/V/D